Recently I wrote about installing mod_gzip on CentOS 5. However since then I have discovered that Internet Explorer 6 has does not support this properly, and intermittently does not load items properly!
To resolve this I had to change the Apache configuration. This is the configuration that I am now using:
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\. no-gzip
BrowserMatch \bMSIE\s7 !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
BrowserMatch \bOpera !no-gzip
Header append Vary User-Agent
This turns off the HTTP compression based on their user agent.
Here are some of the known issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321722/EN-US/ (IE5.5, IE6 and IE6SP1 always cache gzip encoded content)
And this is one of the sites I found to help with the resolution: